Sunday, October 8, 2017

Book review: The Room by Emma Donoghue

RoomRoom by Emma Donoghue
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

'Goodbye, Room." I wave up at Skylight. "Say goodbye," I tell Ma. "Goodbye, Room."
Ma says it but on mute.
I look back one more time. It's like a crater, a hole where something happened. Then we go out the door.' Room is the much acclaimed Man Booker nomination worthy novel from Emma Donoghue about Jack and his Ma.
Jack is 5 and Ma is 26. Jack and Ma lives in the Room with Bed, Rug, Wardrobe, Meltedy spoon, Toilet, Bath and many many things that they fit in their 11*11 square foot prison and this is the story of how they survive it and execute a Grand Escape from Old Nick, who stole 7 precious years of their life. But the most important part of the book, I must say is, after the escape. The story is narrated by the 5 year old boy who has always thought anything other than he and his mother and a few inanimate objects, were not real, but only TV. The book is about how Jack comes into terms with all these new experiences, information and rules he suddenly has to remember and obey to be part of the society.
As I turned from page to page, the innocent observations Jack makes about the various constituents of his new world, like adults, manners, time et cetera cracked me up or made me nod in agreement. A beautiful book through the eyes of a child, his doubts about the world, his love for his mother, his admiration for Dora and above all, how he traverses life though he is not really "scaredy brave" but just scared.
Also, this is special for, brace yourselves, I have successfully completed my #goodreadschallenge third year in a row. 17/17, not bad, eh?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment