Friday, July 14, 2017

Book Review: The Help by Katherine Stockett

The HelpThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
My grandmother, M.S. Kamakalshyamma is the best story teller I've ever come across. Better than Tolstoy, I'd say. She used to lie down next to me when I was younger and tell me all kinds of stories. About her childhood, about Ramayana, about Hansel and Gretel.. . I must've heard those stories a hundred times. And I still miss them. I miss them so much I want to cry.
Kathryn Stockett, here, our dear author of this beautiful beautiful book, reminds me of her as she talks about a society "where white women trust coloured maids with their children but not their silver". It is outstanding, funny, heart touching and it has a purpose. As the protagonist thinks aloud to herself, "Wasn't that the point of the book? For women to realise, We are just two people. Not that much separates us. Not nearly as much as I'd thought." Kathryn derives this book from her life. As you go through the final chapter of the book describing her own help growing up, Demitrie, you realise, that the feisty Minny, the wise Aibelleen, the forgiving Louvenia are all Demitrie and this is Kathryn's eulogy for her the woman who taught her life. The women she talks about are well characterised and deep and strong and inspiring.
I'd say don't think twice. Just get yourself the book and thanks to my buddy Anirudh for lending me this gem! 


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment