Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Book Review: The Great Gatsby by F.S.Fitzgerald

The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The book by F. S. Fitzgerald is about the Eastern American life of the rich in the 1920s. I expected nothing less than a classic out of the book and I was proven wrong. But certainly a simple read well narrated by Mr. Carraway who looks curiously at a part of his own life and the people who touched it. He observes sometimes in disgust and sometimes in awe the lives of two kinds of individuals, the likes of Mr. Gatsby - obsessed forever with the someone very different from himself he had fallen in love with, and the kinds like Tom and Daisy, who as he puts it out neatly and powerfully to you "smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made". At the end of the read I realized that I appreciated how the Leonardo Dicaprio starrer movie was true to the book, rather than how good it was on its own. Would this read be an experience I'd remember for a long long time? No. But I did have a few good moments while at it for which I'm glad I picked up this book.


View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. only fiction ? read some history, science, philosophy etc also. it will be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete